Background: Since 1969, Acacia Network has partnered with communities to lead change and promote healthy and prosperous individuals and families. Acacia’s integrated health and housing programs support individuals who are homeless, or with behavioral health or substance abuse issues in underserved, particularly Latino, communities; these programs are designed to improve quality of life. Programs and services encompassing education, workforce development, substance abuse and behavioral health counseling, healthcare, housing support and youth development are spread across four boroughs in New York as well as in Albany and Buffalo, New York, Orlando, Florida, and Puerto Rico.
With a budget of close to $600 million and 3000 staff, Acacia is a complex organization offering a multitude of services at the intersection of healthcare and social services within a mixed-delivery system. One quarter of the budget is spent on primary healthcare with an important emphasis on providing this care in concert with behavioral health services. An example is the Acacia Health Home programs that improve care coordination and service integration essential to improving health and wellness. As the largest non-profit in New York City, Acacia is continuing its growth in both housing and health care, reaching an increasing number of people in the communities it serves. With this growth comes the need for a seasoned medical professional to become its next Chief Medical Officer (CMO) to lead the Network’s overall health care strategic clinical and administrative goals and objectives in alignment with Acacia Network’s strategic plan.
The Position: Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”), the CMO will be a dedicated and enterprising physician and leader who will be responsible for developing, implementing and refining a comprehensive plan that addresses, at a minimum, population health, chronic disease management, integration of primary and behavioral healthcare, financial viability, workflow, medical protocols, and compliance. The CMO will work closely with the CEO and Senior Leadership team as a full partner in Acacia’s mission, vision, and growth and will work collaboratively on a broad range of policy, programmatic, and strategic issues required to achieve the short- and long-term plans and objectives of the Acacia. The CMO will lead efforts to deliver affordable, high quality healthcare services through collaboration with other Acacia leadership and across the Network.
Experience working with or for community health centers, public health clinics and mental health services is highly desired as well as a background working with underserved urban populations. The CMO should have substantial experience in program assessment and creating metrics for community health programs.
The CMO should possess the gravitas and knowledge to participate in policy discussions on Medicaid reform at the government level and be able to raise the profile of Acacia as a thought leader in this discussion. Although a strong presence is required, he or she should leave one’s ego at the door. Understanding and embracing the culture of all Acacia stakeholders – staff, patients and partners - is of the utmost importance; the ideal candidate must be willing to take the time to learn about Acacia from the leadership and staff and respect the team’s skills, knowledge and experience.
The CMO must be a highly experienced and seasoned leader and manager who can work closely with the Board, the CEO and staff to promote an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork. S/he should be significantly accomplished with past successes, be hands-on, a strategic thinker, planner and problem solver, focused on outcomes, and be comfortable driving change. In addition, he or she will be of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment and a sense of humor.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Together with senior management, support the CEO in keeping Acacia at the forefront of delivering high-quality primary health care services by developing and implementing new strategies and processes that meet the needs of Acacia’s target communities
• Work closely with the management team to improve the infrastructure of Acacia to better support programs and operations by aligning and refining programs and services addressing Housing, Social Services and Behavioral Health. This includes development of a framework of clinical organization and reporting to facilitate integration of services.
• Manage and supervise staff to ensure the efficient and effective implementation of programs and services
• Stay up-to-date on current and emerging models in healthcare delivery and advise Executive Team on national, state, and local trends
• Lead efforts to evaluate, track, and improve outcomes for clients.
• Ensure providers are trained in population health principles, protocols, and trends and act as resource to provide information, professional development, consultants, etc.
• Build and support partnerships to strengthen and complete the array of services available to meet the community needs
• Actively participate in Network’s value-based performance improvement activities.
• Collaborate with the VP, Primary Health Care on data analytics and development of quality measures for new payment models, as well as quality improvement
• Provide leadership and expertise for quality and clinical effectiveness, including oversight of a multi-disciplinary team of direct medical service providers in primary, nursing facility, and behavioral healthcare, ensuring collaboration, open access and continuity of care
• Evaluate and optimize the care management and patient centered medical home approach, including disease management, patient satisfaction and patient safety
• Facilitate an environment of quality and cost improvement that is data driven and evidenced based. Employ utilization of clearly defined metrics that align with internal and external expectations to measure improvements.
• Together with the CFO and other senior management, work to maintain and strengthen the fiscal viability of Acacia with sustainable funding sources to ensure that communities in need receive continued services
• Advocate on issues that affect Acacia constituencies and leverage relationships across the various fields relevant to Acacia’s work to advance the agency’s work
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership, Team Building and Management: Partnering with the medical staff and management team, facilitate teamwork and shared goals. Participate in strategic planning processes. Update, evaluate, revise and execute policies, procedures, and medical bylaws as needed. Identify and define new and innovative strategies to achieve business goals and objectives. Foster an accountable and results-oriented culture. Recognize the high level of medical talent at Acacia and implement tools to help elevate this asset.
Population Health: Review workflow, clinical practices, and coding to ensure a continuum of care – prevention, disease management and ongoing wellness. Establish effective and timely systems of communication and information exchange between Acacia and community partners, including frequent updates on DSRIP activities, needs, and future expectations.
Managed Care, Quality Indicators and Incentive Payments, and Value-Based Approaches: Report on managed care primary care trends and priorities to ensure ongoing responsive care delivery and alignment with future quality payments.
Quality Care: Oversee and manage culturally sensitive clinical operations for patient-centered care and direct service programs, delivering care based on evidenced based protocols. Ensure Medicaid, NYS Department of Health and other NYS oversight bodies, grantors, and other key regulations and standards are achieved at the system and provider level.
Quality Assurance and Physician Performance: Establish, lead and advise provider quality assurance and improvement efforts and contribute to the development of policies and standards of patient care, including clinically-related trainings. Carry out periodic performance appraisals of clinical staff in conjunction with the senior leadership team and assist in the evaluation of medical staff for credentialing and re-credentialing purposes.
Maintaining and Enhancing Financial Strength: Participate in the annual budget process, as well as monitor ongoing expenses and revenue in coordination with the VP Primary Health Care to maintain financial viability. Oversee agency managed care and state contracts.
Advancing the Organizational Profile: Working with the CEO and senior leadership, glean the lessons, challenges, and opportunities learned from service delivery and outcomes in order to inform public policies at the city, state and federal levels
Qualifications: The successful candidate must believe in and be committed to the mission and core values of the Acacia Network. Acacia is seeking an individual with proven leadership and management experience, preferably in a multi-service agency, who can successfully lead, build, and support the capabilities of a talented, diverse, and committed team. Additional attributes include:
• Board certified Doctor of Medicine (Graduate of an accredited school of medicine) with a specialty in internal medicine or family practice strongly preferred
• Minimum of 10 years’ senior leadership in public health/public administration, with substantial knowledge and understanding of health policy in NYS
• Experience working in community health and FQHC’s and mental health services, e.g. Article 28 and OMH Article 31
• Broad knowledge of health care issues facing individuals living in poverty and familiarity/experience with best practices, performance management, service integration, and quality assessment in community-based service programs
• Strong ability to define and implement strategies to meet agency goals
• Exceptional management skills with the ability to connect with staff, both one-on-one and in large groups
• Able to motivate, develop, and manage while at the same time be able to learn from and respect the expertise and skills of the senior management and staff.
• Success in achieving actionable results by working with others and building strong and sustainable relationships, both internally and externally.
• Skilled at development and implementation of innovative, integrated primary care clinical programs in compliance with outside accrediting and licensing bodies
• Strong understanding of service delivery, sustainability and health care market dynamics
• Substantial understanding of Medicaid Managed Care, DSRIP, DISCO, Title IV and Title X family planning
• Familiarity with Electronic Medical Records and their use as a tool to support healthcare operations
• Understanding of finance, systems, and operations of a multi-service organization
• Extremely strong communication skills – both orally and in writing
• Thoughtful problem solver both in finding solutions for ongoing issues and responding to crises quickly and effectively
• Strong capacity to multi-task, independently manage competing priorities and meet deadlines
• Bilingual English-Spanish fluency a plus
Salary will be commensurate with experience. For more information about the Acacia Network, please visit their website at www.acacianetwork.org
Acacia Network has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, Senior Director and COO
Elly Kirschner, Director of Healthcare and Advocacy
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put Acacia CMO in the subject line of your emailed application
Acacia Network is an equal opportunity employer and all positions are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.